Cupcakes with Hearts
Ingredients for Cupcakes with Hearts
- 140g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder mixed with 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 50g white chocolate chips
For the icing
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar, plus 1 tbsp for serving
- 50g white chocolate, chopped and melted
- 1 tsp pink food colouring
Method for Cupcakes with Hearts
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Place 12 white or coloured fairy cake cases in the holes of a muffin tray.
- Whisk the butter and sugars in a bowl with an electric beater, until softened. Add the eggs with 3 tbsp of the flour and whisk, until smooth. Add the cocoa powder mixture, the vanilla essence, remaining flour and the baking powder and whisk, until smooth. Fold through the white chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the fairy cake cases – they should be about ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 mins, until firm to touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, whisk the butter until softened, then add the icing sugar with half the white chocolate. Whisk until smooth, then beat in the remaining white chocolate and the pink colouring.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the tops off the fairy cakes just above the paper case line. Either using a very small heart shaped cutter or by hand, cut hearts out of the tops of the fairy cakes.
- Spoon the buttercream onto the cakes and top with the cut-out tops. Dust with the icing sugar to serve.
Storing instructions for Cupcakes with Hearts :
these cupcakes can be kept for up to 3 days if unfilled with buttercream icing. If they are filled, they should be eaten on the same day. Best stored in an airtight container, such as a tupperware box or cake tin.
Cupcakes with Hearts Recipe shared with very kind permission from Tesco Real Food
You might also like my post on sponge cakes!