Have you ever wondered how much value can a loft extension add to your property?
As homeowners, we’re always making an effort to modify the interior and exterior of our homes so they can look their best and be more comfortable. When done right, modifications increase the value of a home significantly.
You can add value to your property in many different ways by doing structural or semi-structural modifications. A loft extension is one of the most popular structural constructions because they add a ton of value to the home.
If you’re considering a loft extension, there are many options to choose from. For example, you can make a loft extension on the roof to get more sunlight in and stargaze at night.
You can also choose between a hipped roof, a flat roof, or a gable roof loft extension, depending on the infrastructure of your property and your preference. A dormer loft extension and a mansard loft extension are other great options to consider.
Something to keep in mind is that you may have a specific loft extension idea in mind, but sometimes it’s not always possible to get what you want. In some cases, the shape and pitch of your roof won’t allow for certain changes unless you’re willing to invest in complete reconstruction.
How Much Value Can a Loft Extension Add
How Much Value Can a Loft Extension Add to Your Property?
The value that loft extension adds to your property will depend on many different factors, including the type of loft extension, size, and the use you’ll be giving it. Every type of loft extension provides a specific and unique value. However, we can’t provide an exact figure.
What we can do is provide an approximate assumption of the value it can add to your house.
If you want to extend your home with a loft extension, it can increase the total value of your property up to 21%.
If you’re doing a loft extension to have an extra bathroom, it adds 5% more value. If the loft extension increases the total floor of the property by 10%, it will add 5% more value. Lastly, if the loft extension is for a new bedroom, it will add 11% more value.
Advantages of a Loft Extension
There are many advantages to a loft extension. It won’t only add value to your property, it will also make it more appealing. Here’s a list of the top advantages you’ll enjoy from a loft extension:
- It will make your home more spacious. A loft extension will add to the total carpet area of your property, which makes the property more spacious and creates more room for something else, such as a bedroom, a bathroom, or a living room.
- Wow factor. A loft extension will help you bring some wow factor to your property. It can provide that modern and beautiful touch your home is missing, you just have to make sure it’s designed well and hire someone who’s going to amaze you.
- Increase of resale value. One of the major perks of loft extension is that it will increase the resale value of your property if selling is in the future for you.
- It’s inexpensive by comparison. A loft extension can be less expensive than other kinds of structural constructions. If you choose another kind of structural construction to cover the same area, it will be a lot more expensive.
- It’s an easy modification. As far as home modifications go, loft extensions can be easier than other kinds of extensions, such as garage extensions. If you already have the space for it and your home doesn’t require complete reconstruction, the process will be a breeze.
How much value can a loft extension add to your property?
Basic Considerations About Loft Extension When Considering How Much Value Can a Loft Extension Add
Before you go for the loft extension for your home, you should consider a few basic things, including:
- The flexibility of project permission.
- You’ll need to request permission from the appropriate building regulation authority. Usually, there’s no need to ask for consent for this kind of extension. However, it will still affect your property significantly, so you need permission.
- Suitability is another important consideration because though loft extension is straightforward, it gets tricky when you go for a pitched roof and even trickier when you go for a hipped roof.
- You also need to make sure no other areas in the property will be affected by the loft extension. So, take your time planning and be smart about it to get the most value out of it.
How to get a loft extension & How Much Value Can a Loft Extension Add to Your Property?
When you choose to have a loft extension, you’re making a decent investment in something that will be on your property for the long-term. Whatever you do, you need to be sure you’re careful about it.
That’s why it’s important to understand the process.
How Much Value Can a Loft Extension Add
The fundamental steps of a loft extension are as follows:
Make a list of local / regional specialists
The first thing you need to do is contact a specialist in loft extensions, whether that’s a builder, an architect, or a loft extension company.
They will provide all the professional guidance you need, and they will teach you all about loft extensions. A professional in the matter will help you decide what’s best for your property and determine what kind of loft extension is better suited.
Make a list of questions to ask them
We recommend you do some research before you meet with them so you can understand what a loft extension entails. This will help you make the right questions.
If you know someone who has had a loft extension done, talk to them about it and ask for advice.
Compare quotes when considering how much value can a loft extension add
The next thing you have to do is compare the quotes and packages you find. At the end of the day, you want to get the best possible deal but you also want to make sure you work with someone who knows what they’re doing.
Once everything is set and ready to go, you need to check the building regulations in your area to make sure everything is in line.
How much value can a loft extension add to your property? is a guest post