How to Get Rid of Pimples Long Term
The truth is everyone gets pimples. While the majority of them tend to form when one reaches puberty, adults who are way into their late 20s may still get them from time to time. While this is a comforting thought to have, a person may feel conscious about their appearance which can ultimately affect their self esteem. Most people do their best by using safe products like Missha, but there are key ways on getting rid of pimples long term.
Before we list out the ways to get rid of them, here are some general causes on why your skin develops pimples:
- Overactive sebaceous glands
Every person has sebaceous glands which generate sebum, a component responsible for naturally moisturizing the skin. However, people with oily-skin types are generally more prone to acne due to the fact that their sebaceous glands produce more sebum than normal. Some of which can clog up the pores, trapping dirt and other forms of pollution which results to red bumps on the skin.
- Hormonal changes
Adolescents undergoing body changes and women who have hormonal conditions are prone to acne. The latter of which may require birth control and other forms of treatment to balance out the levels of hormones produced. For teens, acne is formed because the skin is gradually undergoing a series of changes which include the increasing level of hormones.
Stress is a factor that can’t be ignored completely although the way we handle them can make people worse if we are not careful. When people are stressed, many may turn to unhealthy habits to cope which include:
- Sleeping without removing their makeup
- Smoking where toxins can affect your skin
- Indulging in foods that are not good for them
With all these causes in mind, it’s safe to say that when it comes to treating pimples for the long-term, one needs to take a look into their body and lifestyle to get the right solution.
To start, here are some tips to help you get rid of those pesky marks for good:
- Invest in products that fight acne
This includes a gentle cleanser made for your skin type, a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels, and some treatment serums that specifically dry out pimples and allow them to fade in time. When shopping for products, look for ingredients that fight acne like:
- Tea-tree oil
- Salicylic acid
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHAs)
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Keep a good and consistent lifestyle
When it comes to getting rid of pimples, a person must understand that there is no instant cure for certain types of acne. While there are quick-fix solutions like using toothpaste and acne patches, getting rid of pimples for the long term requires being consistent with your healthy habits and putting aside habits that can exacerbate them. This includes your diet, sleeping habits, and how you manage stress:
- Diet- While there is no food that can cause acne; it still helps to eat healthier food and drinks with natural antioxidants since they can benefit your skin and your body. Ditch the refined carbohydrates and aim for foods with natural vitamins like Vitamin-C rich fruits, fibrous vegetables, and lean meat for protein.
- Improve the quality of your sleep – For sleeping habits, try sleeping on your back instead of your side or stomach since bacteria on pillow sheets and bedding can stick to your face. As a rule of thumb, change your sheets every two weeks to avoid accumulating dirt.
- Stress management – Instead of smoking or drinking, handling stress effectively by meditating or taking a break every once in a while. This helps manage your cortisol and androgen levels which usually leads to more oil production.
- Have a consistent skin care routine– mix and matching different products every so often can affect the integrity of your skin since it needs time to adjust to the product. If you don’t see results immediately, wait for at least 6-12 before switching to another. If you notice signs of allergy like redness and more breakouts, ditch the products and go visit a dermatologist immediately.
- See an expert
In some cases, certain factors like a missed period of hair loss may be due to hormonal conditions. One side effect to these conditions is cystic acne which may require the help of specialist. If you suspect none of your products to work, it may be because your body requires specialized treatment that targets the cause of these side effects.
With over thousands of products readily available, it also helps to do your research beforehand and being willing to undergo a few trials here and there. If you have sensitive skin, consider visiting a skin doctor who can provide you with safer options.
I hope youhave found this post on How to Get Rid of Pimples Long Term to be helpful.