Today – humming meditation
The humming like a bee meditation is a great way to reduce stress and bring a peaceful silence to mind. It is a powerful meditation, which is an easy technique for beginners to learn. It’s a great way to relax after a busy, stressful day and can help you sleep better at night when performed before bedtime. It is similar to mantra meditation, except there are no mantras vocalized. By focusing on the sound of our own voice, we easily become distracted from chaotic thought patterns bringing peace, joy, and happiness to our being. This article discusses how to perform the humming like a bee meditation and the health benefits you will be rewarded with.
Meditation has been scientifically proven to benefit both the mind and body. People who meditate at least once a day, for 15 minutes or more, report great changes both physically and mentally. The health benefits you can expect to be rewarded with are as follows:
The benefits of humming meditation
- Stress reduction and profound relaxation of mind and body
- Boosted immune function leading to lessened risk of illness
- Lowered blood pressure and heart rate
- Improved concentration and clarity of mind
- Decreased cortisol and lactate levels. These are the hormones that at high levels in the body cause stress
- It opens doors to creativity
- Better sleep patterns.
- Lowered cholesterol levels.
- Reduced pain and discomfort.
- Improved overall health and well-being
A Humming Meditation Technique (like a bee)
- Find a comfortable seated or lying position, either on the floor, in a chair or lying down on the floor, in bed or on the sofa.
- Try to ensure you will not be disturbed for at least 15 minutes, turn phones off, and inform others you do not wish to be disturbed.
- Begin by closing the eyes and taking three long, deep inhalations and exhalations to relax the body a little.
- Take your index fingers on each hand and block off your ear, canals gently.
- Now begin humming your favorite song or songs. You may wish to just hum randomly. Either method is effective.
- Continue to hum for at least 15 minutes and focus your attention on the sounds you are making. If the mind becomes distracted, gently bring your focus back to your humming.
- After 15 minutes, stop humming and enjoy the silence and peace of mind you have created for yourself. The longer you spend humming, the deeper the sense of relaxation peace and happiness you will experience post this meditation.
- When you are ready, stand, and stretch.
This humming meditation is one of only a few that the benefits of the practice are immediate and can be enjoyed for hours post-meditation. If you practice meditation every day, then the health rewards become more significant with time.
Finding time out each day, just for ourselves, to relax, de-stress and unwind is as important for our health and well-being as nourishment and exercise. Take as little as 15 minutes to try the humming meditation; you will be surprised how good you will feel.
You might also like my posts on
and head on over to headspace to find out much more about mediation