Week 2 of the Great British bake off was all about biscuits. Viennese whirls and gingerbread biscuits houses looked a tad too complicated for me so I opted for the iced biscuits for my Great Blogger Bake Off entry.
Ooh I do love a good biscuit don’t you. I haven’t made iced biscuits in a very long time and I (stupidly) asked my daughter what sort of iced biscuits she would like. Owls she said most definitely. Yikes!
Still they weren’t as hard as I thought they would be to make and they tasted rather delicious I have to admit. Here is how I made them.
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter ,
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g l sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170c
- Cream the butter and sugar then beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mix and mix with your hands until the dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough in film and place in the fridge for 45 min.
- Remove the dough and roll out on a floured surface
- Cut a circle with a round cutter and then make your next circle over lapping the one you have already made so you get an owl shape.
- Make as many you can out the dough Place on greased proof paper on a baking tray and place in the oven,
- This should take 10 minutes to cook.
- Remove from the oven when a light golden brown and place on a cooling rack.
- I used prepared ready to roll icing and simply rolled it out on a surface dusted with icing sugar. I repeated the cutting shape I had used on the biscuits and lightly wet the back of each with water and pressed it onto the biscuits.
- I decorated with icing pens (from Lakeland)