So in my wisdom (‘cos yes I really do have loads of spare time! ) I have decided to take part in this years Great Bloggers Bake Off. The bloggers version of the Great British Bake Off, before you wonder why you didn’t spot me on the Telly-Box!
The Great Blogger Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Jenny from Mummy Mishaps and the idea is each week we create a bake inspired by the themes of the show. Do pop on over and have a look at all the great bakes linked up.
Did you watch the show…I did and I thought it was fabulous as always. If you missed it the themes for week 1 were …
Chocolate Mirror Glaze Cake
I’ve not made a lemon drizzle since I was at a school so I just had to give it ago. I kept it really simple and classic and served it with freshly picked blackberries from the canal path and some juicy English strawberries.
I have to say it went down a treat in my house and I delivered some to a stressed out friend to make her smile . I’ve saved a piece for Great Grandma too. it will be right up her street.
A tangy taste sensation!
- 175g self raising flour
- 175g unsalted butter
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- 175g sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- For the lemon syrup: 100g caster sugar & 100 g lemon juice
- For the icing: 250g icing sugar &z est and juice of one lemon
- Heat the oven to 180
- Line a 2lb baking tin with greaseproof paper
- Place sieved flour, sugar, eggs and zest and juice of two lemons in a bowl and beat with a spoon until smooth
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and pop into oven
- Once golden and and your knife comes away clean remove form oven.
- Making the syrup by melting the sugar and lemon juice together till liquid.
- Poke lots of little holes in the top of your cake with a cocktail stick and pour on the liquid
- Allow to cool.
- Make icing by adding lemon juice to icing sugar (sieve it first) then pouring over cake. Don’t let it all settle it the centre but help it move over the cake
Pin for later…..