Lemon snaps recipe
Lemon snaps are an old-time favourite. These lemon snap cookies are crisp and sweet with a lemony tang that will let you know summer is here. I think you will love them.
Lemon Snaps Recipe
Lemon snaps are a very crisp, tangy cookie that is very reminiscent of a ginger snap in texture and shape.
These were a very popular cookie about 100 years ago, often being used for afternoon tea or served at card parties. Lemon snaps travel well and make a great gift to send in the mail, packed into a lunch box, or taken on a picnic. They can be served with or without a lemon sugar glaze.
And oh my goodness are they refreshing and simple and just a taste sensation really – you ill not ever regret trying out this recipe I can guarantee it,
Lemon Snaps Recipe:
Ingredients for lemon snaps recipe
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
1 cup of sugar
2 med eggs
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
Method for making lemon snaps recipe
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. In large bowl cream butter and sugar together
3. Add in eggs and stir until fluffy
4. Mix in lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest
5. In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
6. Add flour to butter mixture in 3 additions, mixing well after each addition
7. Scoop heaping teaspoons of dough and roll by hand into balls
8. Cover baking sheet with parchment
9. Place rounded dough balls on baking sheet about 2″ apart
10. Bake 10 min until golden
11. Remove from baking sheet immediately and place on a cooling wrack
12. When cookies are cooled, top with lemon glaze if desired
Lemon Glaze for the lemon snap cookies
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved
2. Apply to cookies with a pastry brush
Although lemon is the traditional flavor for these lemon snaps cookies, other flavors work well and can give a nice variety.
Suggested lemon snaps recipe flavours:
Replace lemon with orange for the juice, extract and zest
Make Key Lime cookies by replacing lemon with key lime for juice, and zest (regular lime extract may need to be substituted for lemon extract). Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar after they have cooled
Orange passion fruit thumbprints. Make orange cookies as above, before baking makes a well in the center of each cookie with the back of a spoon. Put 1/2 tsp passion fruit jam in the imprint in each cookie.
Lemon thumbprint cookies can be made using the same method as above. Add 1/2 tsp lemon curd to the well in each cookie.
Vanilla crisps; omit lemon zest, replace lemon extract with vanilla and lemon juice with half and half
Raspberry vanilla thumbprint cookies. Use the above substitutes for vanilla, make a well in the top of each cookie with the back of a spoon before baking and add 1/2 tsp raspberry preserves to the top of each cookie
Save the lemon snaps recipe
Pin this easy lemon snaps recipe for later
I hope you have found this lemon snaps recipe useful – do let me know if you have a go at making them – you might also like my recipe for lemon scones and lemon and choc chip cookies. You can also find a lot more lemon recipes here