Vegan ginger cookies are a must have for a vegan at Christmas in many houses. Try this recipe and have the kids help decorate the delicious, finished vegan ginger cookies!
Gingerbread cookies are a longstanding tradition for the holiday season. They are spicy, sweet and a treat when dunked into cold soy milk. This recipe is easy to make and even the smallest of child can help mix, measure and press out festive holiday shapes.
Ginger has huge health benefits, so you know your vegan ginger cookies are good for you too!
Vegan Ginger Cookies
Vegan Ginger Cookies Recipe
What You’ll Need
5 Cups of Flour
1 Cup vegan Margarine – melted
1 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg Replacer
½ Cup Vegan Evaporated Milk
2 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ Teaspoon Salt
How to Make Vegan Ginger Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees while preparing the cookie dough. Spray or very lightly grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Mix in the melted margarine, evaporated milk, molasses, vanilla extract and stir well. It pays to sample the mixture at this point and see if the spices are as desired. Some people prefer to add more cinnamon, nutmeg, or even a bit more sugar. If so, start small and add only a little at a time and mix well.
3. Add the flour to the mixture, a cup at a time until all of the flour has been incorporated. The dough should be stiff but not very sticky. If it is too sticky, add ½ cup of flour and remix until it is stiff enough to handle without getting hands sticky.
4. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes and then roll it out on a lightly floured surface. It should be about ¼ inch thick. If the rolling pin sticks to the dough, lightly dust the rolling pin with flour.
5. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place onto the lightly greased cookie sheets.
6. For festive cookies use holiday themed cutter like trees, gingerbread men and stars.
7. Bake for only 8 minutes for a softer cookie. The tops of the vegan ginger cookies should be slightly springy to the touch. Over-cooking will result in much crisper cookies. Cool cookies on a wire cooling rack to prevent over-browning.
As an alternative to rolling the cookies, the dough can simply be dropped by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Obviously this will result in round cookies and there won’t be any shapes to later decorate. But, they’ll still be tasty!
Vegan Ginger Cookies
Decorating Ideas for Vegan Ginger Cookies
Gingerbread cookies are great plan but lots of people like to decorate them. This is easy to do and will look great on a platter when guests come over for the holidays. They also make great gifts, just put them in colored cellophane and place a dozen in a decorative holiday bag.
- Spread icing over vegan ginger cookies.
- Put a light layer of vanilla icing and dust with cake sprinkles.
- Lightly ice and sprinkle with M&M’s or chocolate chips.
- Use a pastry tube and outline gingerbread men, add icing buttons and a face!
- Decorate with turbinado or pearl sugar or powdered sugar.
- Get cake icing in the pre-filled tubes for super easy decorating.
Make some vegan ginger cookies this holiday season. These are so easy to make, bake up a few extra batches for family, friends and neighbors! Get the entire family to join in and it’ll soon be a house and heart warming holiday tradition!