What are breakfast bowls? – and how to make them
Trands come and go and sometimes we have to ask what are they all about – have you asked yourself what are breakfast bowls? for example
If you haven’t heard of or come across breakfast bowls, you’ve probably been living under a rock. Instagram and other social media channels are literally flooded with these colorful bowls that are the next best healthy breakfast options for those who have jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon.
But are they really worth it all? Is is actually easy to whip them up? Get your answers to those questions right here! Read on..
What Are They Really?
Breakfast bowls are typically bowls that are filled up with a choice of healthy breakfast foods such as fresh fruits, nuts, oats etc. Not only are they a fun way to kick start your day and enjoy your breakfast, but they are also supposed to have a lot of nutritive value, given the choice of ingredients that go into making them.
The visual appeal is just one aspect, but people are now obsessed with these bowls because they’re loaded with superfoods that can fuel you up for the day, and are actually a great way to get started onto a healthy eating routine
So What’s the Deal?
With all the buzz around these breakfast bowls, it is no surprise that they have quickly become one of the most popular items on the menu for food outlets and breakfast joints. The bright colors, the beautiful arrangements and the unique and different flavors and textures all make it a great breakfast package- they actually give you the perfect balance of nutrition and taste that you seek.
If you’ve been looking to give these a try, go ahead! They’re actually easy to make, and can help you start your day on a healthy note.
Making breakfast bowls at home!
Sure, you can look up and try one of the thousands of breakfast bowl recipes available online, but the key pointers to remember while making them are these!
- Start with a base. Experiment with different bases for your breakfast bowls and see what works best for you. Oats, coconut meat, Greek yogurt, chia seeds, acai and quinoa are some good options to pick from.
- Next, choose your toppings. Pick from a mix of healthy sweet toppings like apples, bananas, dates, dried figs, dried berries etc.
- Don’t forget to include some juicy toppings like citrus fruit segments, mango cubes, pineapple cubes, kiwi slices etc.
- To add a nice element of crunch to your breakfast bowl, pick from crunchy topping options like crushed cashew nuts, toasted oats, toasted sunflower seeds, toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds and even crushed almonds.
- You can also consider sweetening your breakfast bowl with some maple syrup or honey!
- Some other foods that could make great additions for your breakfast bowls are dried banana slices, bran flakes, toasted coconut flakes, dried mango bites, dried apricots, peanut butter, dark chocolate chips and even cinnamon powder.
So now you have the lowdown on what are breakfast bowls and how to make them…hope you have found this useful! You can find a ton more of my recipes over on my food blog Eat Simply
You might also like my post on how to practice mindful eating